Sunday, July 27, 2008

Somewhere over the rainbow...

Its been gay week on channel 5 here in Sweden. One of the shows thats been on is "Queer as folk" a really good show, empowering not only for gays but for us strait as well, there are more than one way to have a different life style than most people, and you don't need to be gay to have that.
There has been some shows about "faghags" as well, never thought it was such a thing to be a faghag. I just thought that some people happens to have gay friends, others don't. But apparently it is a trend, or has become one after the show "Will & Grace".
So where is the attraction in being a faghag?
By the way they never talked about being a "dikehag" so i guess thats not existing.
Anyway why being a faghag?
I started to think about it; is the two sexes so far apart that we hardly do not know anything about each other, if so, maybe it is easier to approach the male society in the shape of someone that is stripped away from the heterosexuality. Someone that you can get to know in peace and quiet without the stress of putting out?
One women in this documentary I saw about faghags (who had "converted" a gay man, and was now married to him) said that it is so nice to live with a gay man, he treat me as an equal, he treat me as a gay man. Is it that hard for women to find equality in a heterosexual relationship. It makes me angry sometimes to think about it, that we women need to fight for an equal relationship.
I myself have found both sorts of guys, equal and unequal, and I have to my surprise found myself bragging about my equal boyfriend as though I have hit the jackpot instead of taken the equality for granted.
I see no reason against hanging out with gay friends, hell why don't we all embrace each other in a big hug. But it is sad if a women only can find equality in a relationship with a gay man and not with strait men.

Written under the influence of the splendid ending of "Queer as folk"

More power to queer shows, and more power to couples that fight to be equal in this unequal world.

1 comment:

Pearl said...

I agree that being congratulated on having an "equal" relationship says a lot about us as people! Because my man knows how to cook, am I lucky? He eats -- isn't it only right that he know how to cook, and perhaps wash the dishes as well?

Pearl