Thursday, February 21, 2008

Black clubs

When something is illegal in Sweden we say that it is black; black club, black cab, black deal, black rental etc. I guess you get the picture. To know about a black club in my hometown is as though you found the key to glory and prosperity. You know there will be good music, good people, cheep beer, but most of all you know you are one of the chosen ones. Going to a black club and you know you are cool. I’ve hardly been to any. Life is hard.

Moving to Warsaw the city seemed grey, ugly in fact. Nothing seemed to be going on. One day a classmate of mine took me to a backyard (alley if you will), of a shopping street (Nowy Swiat). It seemed like a yard full of empty, deserted closed shops. I started to thinking to myself; have I done anything bad to my classmate, will she kick me here in the alley where no one can see…

But all of a sudden she opened one of the doors to the “closed shops” and inside it, it was full packed of people, sweet music found its way to my ears, golden beer was in abundance. I realized I was in black club heaven, only these clubs were legal and they where everywhere.

Just open a door that seems closed in Warsaw and you will find the best clubs you can ever imagine.


Written under the influence of Jens Lekman – Black cab

No comments: