Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Like a Virgin...

Ok I just might start this whole thing by admitting that this is my first real blog. With this I will lose my blog virginity, quite a scary but hopefully a nice experience.I don’t really know what this blog should be about, but I’m a Swedish psychology student living in Warsaw so I guess I’ll start there.

I had never been to Warsaw or Poland for that matter before I decided to start studying there. Even though Poland and Sweden are both a part of Europe, even though it only takes 1,5 h to go from one country to the other, they are still worlds apart.
With my naïve Swedish eyes I have now observed Poland for more than 1 year, and I tell you, it is sometimes hard to understand:

Everyone here have a nickname. A nickname ordered in such a way so it is impossible to know what their real name is. Jakub = Kuba, Joanna = Asia, Aleksandra = Ola (and yes I laughed to in the beginning when lots of girls where called Ola in Poland, but there it’s not a male name as in Sweden)I can go on forever with these nicknames.

The number 3 [trzy] is impossible to pronounce and the polish clerks are irritatingly peculiar with pronunciation (they pretend not to understand you if you don’t say it right). Before moving to Poland, three beers was enough to feel ok, now my body have had to get used to four or five or six (easier to pronounce).

The former Prime minister was the twin brother of the President??? Its true, they are even called “the ducks”! The brothers biggest support group was the farmers and when reporters asked them about what made “the ducks” tip the scale for them they said it was because the twins wore their favorite color, they looked cute, they were short and they were both child stars….well what can I say.


To my positive surprise Poland seem to be a liberal country, at least when it comes to gay people. They just love their gay community, because everything is gay according to them.

- Have you seen those close, they look so gay

- Look at the pose, that is so gay

- You are so gay

- Ohh look at that picture he looks so gay


Well I guess this is where I start my first blog and end my first post.


Written under the influence of LCD-Soundsystem

4 comments:

m said...

I also fell like a virgin. First post on your blog...
What can I say... I didn’t vote for them.

Anonymous said...

Oh...you are writing blog as well. Cool:) Congratulations! If you don't mind I will comment it from time to time. You are right. It's crazy. Foreigners can not understand why people call me Asia if my name is Joanna. I’ve tried to clear it up for them several times. It's complicate like the political situation in Poland.

A.T. said...

Yes go ahead and comment it, it is always fun (with some exceptions of course) to hear what other people think about it.

Pearl said...

I am sorry to say that I know nothing of Poland, but my son is one quarter Swedish! Have never been to ANYWHERE in Europe -- it's so far away, and once people find out I'm a U.S. citizen, I will have to explain about George Bush -- and I can't. Never voted for the guy, don't know anyone who did. It's embarrassing. Anyway, nice blog! I read it all. Keep writing! Pearl