Monday, May 19, 2008

Thank my genes for blond hair

I may have blond moments sometimes, but they have taught me some valuable lessons on how to get out of difficult situations, so they are not all bad.
I'm a student of Warsaw University and therefor I'm entitled to a discount on the train, though this is only valid until you are 26 and well I'm not anymore. So when my parents visited me we decided to check out a town called Torun, and of course i bought a student ticket.
The women on the train checking tickets came, saw my ticket and student pass and started speaking polish in an angry voice. I didn't understand a thing but a friendly young guy told me that since I was older then 26 I had to pay to cost of a normal ticket.
I played of course dumb saying sure I will I didn't understand what was written on the student card about 26 bla bla.
So we go to Torun, a beautiful city by the way.

We are there for the day (not so big city) and when we are satisfied we go to buy train tickets home to Warsaw. I tell mom and dad that I can't possibly be that unlucky to have the same women controlling the tickets on the train again so I buy a student ticket.
Well I guess you can imagine what happened, of course it was the same women, she looks at me then looks at the ticket.
Ohh wait I shouldn't start there, we didn't find any seats in the train so we sat down in first class and there is where she finds us, dads asleep, me and mom comfortable reading in the nice cabin.
So back to the look she gave me, well it is not a friendly look, as you can imagine.
She starts talking in a fast and angry polish voice. I don't understand much but I understand that she says something about - I give you one chance but not two.
I think this is it, I see big fines flashing before my eyes, she wants me to come with her to a special room...
But i keep my cool, sits there and wait for her, don't really know what will happen.
So finally she comes back with two girls who knows English, and i tell them in my most blond voice that I wanted to by a normal ticket but "the lady in the ticket box looked at me and must have thought I was a student so she gave me a student ticket all though I said to her to give me a normal ticket" (helpless blue eyes looking at the ticket lady)
She melts when she hears this very incredible and unbelievable story, smiles to me, we get some kind of connection going on and she only makes me pay up to the amount of a normal ticket, which for me is a very good deal.
Once again my blond hair saves me, thank you.

Written under the influence of Leonard Cohen - Morning Glory

No comments: