Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Addicted to crap

What is up with my obsession with gossip and reality TV?
I can’t stop, I just overindulge myself in it like a fat person binges chips. It doesn’t leave me satisfied after watching it, it doesn’t give me anything really except for a bad temper.

I realized after watching real world Australia (mtv.com) that all their arguing and back stabbing left me extremely superstitious, all of a sudden everyone around me was my enemy (who today use the word enemy about people in their surroundings?) I was way out of line, until I saw the final episode and everyone made up and hugged each other.

Ask me anything about a celebrity and I will tell you who they have made out with, what they have changed with a knife or injection or silicone, and how their children look like or will look like. I know it all.

Still I consider myself to be a fairly sophisticated person with integrity. Well where is that now?
I have for a while tried to explain my obsession with my interest in psychology. One of my favorite sociologists Zygmunt Bauman wrote a book about fame and big brother so for a while it felt ok to watch it.
But tonight it hit me (when I was watching Big Brother 8 and got really upset that Nick was voted off), I am fu**ing addicted. So as many addict before me have done I turn to the 12 steps and acknowledge “I admitted I were powerless over gossip and reality TV—that my life had become unmanageable.”

My name is A.T. and I’m an addict, so what now? I will still watch the new season of Real world Hollywood, duh!

Written under the influence of Big brother 8 http://www.watchtvsitcoms.com/bigbrother.php

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hahaha! There are worse things in life to be addicted to. Take comfort in that fact :)